Friday 22 February 2013

Super speedy washing for the super ill M.E.ite- new tip (personal care)

Hi everyone, Alison/Tink here.

Recently within a discussion with an online friend who asked my advice on washing, my advice apparently helped her a lot. So Jodi and myself have decided that I should share it with you all in the hopes it may help even one of you.

For some years previously, I was not able to shower, bath or wash. I would have a flannel bowl wash once a week, using baby wipes the rest of the time.

Then as I became the tinyest bit more able, I slowly over time formulated a routine I have depended on since.

In the morning, I stand at the sink at our bathroom, and put soap under my arms, then wipe off with a damp flannel- it literally takes me 30 seconds. This is how I wash my arm pits daily.

Also in the morning, and this is the part that revolutionized my cleanliness, and helped my online friend, I get a jug of warm water from my sink, (you can use two cups (plastic and bone China are the lightest) if you can not hold a jug). I then sit on the toilet, pour a small amount over myself 'down below', then use some ph-neutral liquid soap (I use Femfresh, not sure if a mens equal is available?) to lather myself, then rinse the soap off using my spare hand to cup the water around myself. Then I use a piece of kitchen towel to dry myself (as toilet paper comes to pieces when wet). And I'm clean! Again, it takes literally 30 seconds. This is the only way to genuinely 'wash' down below without having a full shower which involves so much work to dress, undress, dry etc which I, and most of us, are simply unable to do daily.

I also keep a spray bottle of disinfectant mixed with water next to my toilets for the times I get toilet 'splatter' on my bottom cheeks/thighs. I simply spray a little onto a piece of toilet paper and wipe the area.
(Note- obviously those of us with M.E. need to limit our exposures to chemical. Personally I am ok with a sole disinfectant, but just be aware of your own abilities to cope with whatever chemicals you are around or use.)

Lastly, in the afternoon I rinse my face with soap at my sink. Which lakes about 15 seconds.

I shower every 4 or 5 days.

I have found I have been able to follow this routine for years now with only a few exceptions.

I hope it helps!

Feel free to share widely either as text or blog link.

Clean hugs!

Alison/Tink

On behalf of
The Tinkerbelle and Hummingbird M.E. Blog x x

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks! This is an easier way to clean myself from below. (I sit on a stool in front of my sink and try to do it that way, but it isn't optimal for cleaning and energy wise.

When I'm really not well I sweat a lot. I use baby bottom wipes to refresh myself from below. It smells nice and I'm fortunately able to tolerate it. I only do this when a physical therapist or doctor is visiting. So limiting my use of it. Maybe this can be of use to someone.

Joyce

Christine said...

I wanted to jump in on the cleaning, washing trend.
For those of us living in the USA and maybe it's available elsewhere as well I can highly recommend this product. I have no financial gain whatsoever. I wish! :-)
I was searching for this because I lived in France and most Frech women(and men) use this.
It's a bidet it used to be a porcelain toilet/wash like thingy but things have changed.
I purchased one on Amazon and it has changed my life for ever. It is a clever little thing that sprays soft or hard spray on the places you want it to. It gets it water from the water line to the pot. Have a look on Amazon there you can see how it works. I have been it with Vertigo and although I do try, every word I have to type 3 or 4 times. This is the one I have. Hubby connected it within 5 min. Mine is 2 years old and still going strong. There are many more models on Amazon I went for simple. Warm water doesn't work so well because it takes ages to reach you. Cold
water is nice and refreshing. If you have questions I'm happy to answer them. I have used a URL shortener.
http://goo.gl/qizoJ
Christine
(another Tinkerbell)

Alison bell said...

Hey lovely. Thanks so much for commenting, always such a help, to us and to our readers. Helps them know they are not alone.
Sweating profusely is sadly such a part of this illness for most of us. I do when i try to hold a conversation, and when i sleep. I lay on towels and have extra in my bed to wipe myself dry. Baby wipes as i wrote, were the only way I had of 'cleaning' until I found my routine.
Much love
Alison
God bless

Alison bell said...

Hi ma'am, thanks so much for both commenting and the info! So helpful to us, and all readers! Much love Alison God bless

Brumtina said...

For washing 'down below', you can get these plastic 'bidets', which sit in the toilet bowl and allow you to fill with warm water, and has a soap holder as well: http://www.houseofbath.co.uk/shop/instant-portable-bidet/st140/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=7148#colour:,size:

I also use special feminine cleansing wipes, which I have found to be less irritating, and dry shampoo when I have to look respectable for visitors!

Alison bell said...

Dear brumtina, thanks so much for going to the effort and kindness of commenting, so helpful to us and to our readers. Christine suggested something similar above, your link is very useful too!
It's lovely to 'meet' you!
Much love
Alison
God bless x x

Pinkmat said...

I manage to have a shower by sitting on a stool and when I step out there is a strong box for me to sit on to dry myself under a heater. I am lucky in that my husband built the bathroom for me and my wheelchair. But here's another tip which is not directly to do with cleanliness so may be it should be on another blog. I have had M.E. for 33 years with a gradual decline. A few years ago I was worn out with frequent visits to the toilet and the constant feeling that I needed a pee. I went to the doctor several times and one male doctor told me to sit there longer. At last I managed an appointment with my female G.P. who referred me to the incontinence service. I am not incontinent and never leak or have accidents. That wasn't the problem. A wonderful nurse came to the house to show me how to use a catheter so I am part of the Intermittent Catheter Service which I had never heard of before. It's a bit tricky learning how to do it but it changed my life! My G.P. said, "Your bladder is a muscle like the rest of the muscles in your body" and it had just become weak like everything else. Now I can empty my bladder before going to bed, before a journey, before settling down to watch some t.v. without the constant discomfort of feeling I need to go to the loo. The catheters come by post once a month with cleaning wipes, hand wash and plastic disposal bags. It's a wonderful service. There is a slight embarrassment factor when you learn with the nurse but that didn't bother me. She told me that it's much easier for men to do it but they faint at the thought! Anyway, I hope this helps.

Alison bell said...

Hi there. Thanks so much for leaving your comment- comments help so much, us and our readers!
Although you are right this blog post was specifically about washing down below thoroughly without showering, it is always helpful to hear other info. So thank you for sharing personal info!
Although I know many who like you do, I can't cope with using a shower/bath chair, i need to be level with my body so sit on a bath cushion in an empty bath and shower there.
I place used linen on the floor newt to my bath so that when i get out of having my shower i can lay on the floor for a short while.
Once again, thanks so much. Lovely to 'meet' you.
Much Love
Alison
God bless